Today's startups for tomorrow's economy
GRA accelerates the launch and growth of university enterprises
GRA's venture development program is Georgia’s only non-profit catalyst for seeding and shaping companies around research at multiple universities. See our portfolio of companies >
Georgia Research Alliance's venture development program:
- seeks and identifies university discoveries and inventions that have market potential;
- makes key investments in the most promising ventures at the earliest stages;
- develops a pool of experienced CEOs, mentors, and domain experts to help guide or lead the newly launched enterprises; and
- shares best practices and provides other support – all to grow more companies from universities and create more high-value jobs.
Since 2010, the program has accelerated the formation and launch of university-based start-ups by:
- Evaluating more than 1700 proposals for more than 700 unique university technologies and inventions
- Advancing to market 450 distinct university technologies with multi-phase commercialization grants totaling $37 million
- Providing more than $16 million in low-interest loans to over 67 of the most promising companies
Today, 195 university-based companies are in the GRA portfolio. These enterprises have brought to Georgia more than $1.6 billion dollars in equity investment. They have generated more than $1.16 billion in revenue and employ more than 1500 professionals.
Resources for enterprising university researchers
GRA focuses on commercializing technologies and discoveries emerging from Georgia’s research universities.
If you’re a researcher seeking to commercialize a discovery or invention, contact the university representative on your campus (see list below).
Note: GRA does not provide indirect funding for venture development grants awarded to the universities.
Michael Moore, Ph.D.
CLARK ATLANTA UNIVERSITY
De Lisa A. Wilson, MBA, PMP
GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY
Clifford Michaels, Ph.D., CLP, RTTP
MOREHOUSE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
James W. Lillard, Ph.D., M.B.A.
UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA
Tim Martin, M.S.
For other USG institutions, please contact Ashley Cornelison.