Systems Mass Spectrometry Core
Georgia Institute of Technology
Contact: David Smalley (Proteomics)
The mission of Georgia Tech's Systems Mass Spectrometry Core (SyMS-C) facility is to provide researchers with state-of-the-art scientific and technical support in modern proteomics and metabolomics. This requires a commitment to developing, implementing, and optimizing cutting-edge methodologies and instrumentation. In addition, a strong commitment to educating researchers is essential.
Proteomics Services: An Overview
Identification of a Purified Protein
Identification of Proteins in Complex Mixtures
Relative Quantitation of Complex Protein Mixtures
- Stable Isotopic Labeling by Amino Acids in Cell Culture (SILAC). Customers are required to purchase SILAC reagents and perform the SILAC incorporation themselves. Prior to large-scale experiments, incorporation testing by LC/MS/MS analysis must be performed to determine the incorporation efficiency.
- Isobaric tagging (iTRAQ or TMT). The facility provides the labels and will perform the labeling step for the customer.
- Label-free Quantitation (LFQ) using area under the curve or spectral counting.
Modifications may include:
- Post-translational modifications (PTMs) such as phosphorylation, ubiquitination, acetylation, and glycosylation. If you're interested in a specific modification, please contact us so that we may direct you to sample preparation protocols that could be used to optimize its detection.
- Covalent modifications of a protein. The customer should provide the expected modification(s).
- Cleavage Site Determination.
Proteins are typically digested with trypsin then analyzed by LC-MS/MS. Data is searched against a publicly available or user-provided protein database using either Mascot or Sequest search engines. Data is processed in Proteome Discoverer.
Intact Mass Measurement
Metabolomic Services: An Overview
Discovery - General Metabolites and Lipidomics
Targeted - (In-House)
Targeted - Biocrates P400
Systems Mass Spectrometry Equipment & Software
LC-MS/MS System 1
Dionex UltiMate 3000 RSLCnano UHPLC system
Q Exactive™ Plus Hybrid Quadrupole-Orbitrap™ Mass Spectrometer
LC-MS/MS System 2
Dionex UltiMate 3000 RSLC UHPLC system
Q Exactive™ HF Hybrid Quadrupole-Orbitrap Mass Spectrometer
FT-ICR Mass Spectrometry
Recently, several faculty members at Georgia Tech have received NSF funding for a 12 Tesla FT-ICR and it is expected to be installed by summer of 2018. If you are interested in a project utilizing this instrumentation, please feel free to contact us. This is a very unique and powerful instrument suitable for specialized projects.
Off-line LC System
Beckman Coulter ProteomeLab PF2D
- Proteome Discoverer (ver. 2.1)
- Mascot Server (ver. 2.5.1)
- Thermo Scientific Sieve Software (ver. 2.2sp2)
- Thermo Scientific LipidSearch software (ver. 4.1.28)
Additional contact: David Gaul (Metabolomics)